The safety of children in our lives is super important to all of us. We drive just about everywhere in this day and age so safety in the car is of top importance in our lives. Child safety seats, when installed and used correctly, can prevent injuries and save lives. Young children who are properly restrained in car and booster seats have a much lower risk of suffering a devastating or fatal injury compared to those who are unrestrained.
Following are safety tips (broken down by age range of child) to keep in mind:
- Use a convertible seat that faces the rear of the vehicle.
- Do not use a safety seat in the front of your vehicle where an airbag is present.
Toddlers (1 to 4 years old)
- Use a face-forward convertible seat, forward-facing only seat or high-back booster seat and harness.
- Secure the seat using lower anchors and tethers included with the seat.
Young Children (4 to 8 years old)
- Use a belt-positioning booster or high-back belt-positioning booster.
- Use the lap and shoulder seat belt of your vehicle.
Using a child safety seat correctly is the key to keeping your child safe in the event of an accident. If the seat is not installed properly, it may not protect your child in a crash.
As children get older, don’t be afraid to refuse to start the car or drive anywhere until the seat belts are on for everyone in the vehicle. You may be a little late getting to your destination but you may prevent serious injuries and save lives in the event of an accident.
For assistance with your automobile insurance contact John Scott Insurance Agency and we are happy to help!