Now that the hot summer months are here, no one wants to slave away in a hot kitchen or eat rich, heavy foods.
Luckily, there are many easy and refreshing dishes that are perfect for these sweltering days. Try whipping up this light summer recipe for a delicious way to beat the heat.
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup pre-washed quinoa (if not pre-washed, follow package instructions for rinsing)
- 1-2/3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, from 2 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/4 cups fresh cut cooked corn, from 2 cobs
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from 1 large lime
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Now add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa to onions and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes. Now add vegetable broth and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Cover pan tightly with lid, turn heat down to low and simmer for 17-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Transfer cooked quinoa to mixing bowl and chill in refrigerator.
- When quinoa is cool, add remaining tablespoon olive oil, tomatoes, corn, scallions, jalapeño, cilantro, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Right before serving, scatter avocado chunks over top.
This refreshingly light summer recipe is sure to cool and satisfy this season. Are you looking for assistance with your insurance this summer? Then turn to the experts at John Scott Insurance. We are ready to get you the coverage that you need. Contact us to get started today.