Learn how you can protect your home from the risk of fire.
As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to make sure that you keep your home safe from the risk of fire. While having the right home insurance is a great way to protect your home, there are other precautions you can take. Here are some tips you should try to mitigate your risk for a house fire.
Most house fires originate in the kitchen. That’s why it’s important to make sure that you are staying vigilant when you are using your oven or stove to cook. You should never leave these appliances unattended and you should understand what to do if a cooking fire does break out. If faced with a stovetop fire, do not use water to douse the flames. This can result in an explosion. Instead, remove the pot or pan from the heat and stifle the flames using flour.
Leave Some Space
If you are using your fireplace or have a space heater in your home for warmth, make sure you clear away any potential hazards. Flammable items such as carpets, upholstered or wooden furniture, and paper products should be kept out of the vicinity of your fireplace and space heater when they are in use.
Don’t Overwork Your Outlets
Electrical outlets cause more fires than you might think. This is because outlets can spark or surge when appliances are drawing a lot of power. To avoid this hazard, make sure you unplug major appliances when they are not in use. Additionally, major appliances should always be plugged directly into an outlet and not into a power strip or extension cord. This will prevent the risk of a power surge causing your power strip to catch fire.
Try out these tips to protect your home against the risk of fire. Want another way to keep your home safe? Make sure you have the right home insurance in edwardsburg mi coverage to meet your needs. To find the right policy for you, contact the experts at John Scott Insurance. Our dedicated team is ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.