Traveling is part of the fun of adventure. Use these tips for safe summer travel.
Now that summer is here, plenty of us will soon be packing for a weekend getaway, 2-week vacation, or foreign holiday. Whether you’re heading out of town for a few days or taking time off to explore international lands, one sure way to ensure your trip is a smooth one is to be prepared. Check out our summer travel tips for help on how to do just that!
Before you go:
- Research basic information about your destination
- Leave a copy of your itinerary with a trusted family member or friend
- If you’re driving, give your car a check-up and review your auto insurance
- Take a paper map with you – just in case your smartphone isn’t so smart and loses signal!
At the airport:
- Never leave your bag unattended
- Don’t accept any packages from strangers
- Report any suspicious activities
- Follow all safety and security rules
- Don’t pack or bring a lot of valuables with you, such as jewelry. If you do take valuables, ensure they are in your carry-on luggage
At your destination:
- Pay attention to your surroundings!
- Avoid taking more cash, travelers’ checks, or credit cards than you need
- Don’t accept rides from strangers
- Stay in well-lit and well-travelled places
- Don’t “flash” your cash or other valuables
- Avoid looking like a typical tourist – you may be considered an easy target to rob!