Candles are used for so many different things each day. Maybe you use them to set the mood for a romantic evening, or to make your house smell warm and inviting. Maybe they create light during a power outage.
Whatever you use candles for, you need to do it in a safe way, so you protect your loved ones and your belongings.
A sad statistic is that an estimated 20 percent of candle fires involving fatalities occur during the loss of electrical power. A better way to light your home if you can would be to use a flashlight or battery powered lamp so that you don’t fall asleep with a candle lit. When left unattended, candles can cause an out-of-control fire in very little time.
When possible, use candles in a wide based container. They are less likely to be accidentally knocked over.
Place candles on an uncluttered, stable surface in a fire-resistant holder that is at least 12 inches away from anything flammable.
Make sure the candles are well out of the reach of children and pets.
Don’t use candles to search for something in a closet or small confined space where clothes, papers or other combustibles could accidentally ignite.
Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
Extinguish candles safely by cupping your hand behind the candle flame before blowing it out — or, better yet, snuff out the flame with a metal candle snuffer. A spark or ember, if blown from the candle, could ignite combustibles nearby.
You could also use candle alternatives instead. Those could be some of the following options:
- Battery-operated or electric flameless candles.
- Candle warmers and wax warmers melt scented candle wax pieces releasing the fragrance without a flame.
- Use an essential oil diffuser instead of a candle.
While we agree that sometimes you just need the ambiance and warm scent in your home, just please be as careful as possible. We are here for you if you need us here at John Scott Insurance Agency.